Genesis 1:28-30

28And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

30And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Cloth Diapers

I use cloth diapers. Yes, it can be gross to clean them sometimes, but my children have fewer rashes. Plus, the disposables that I would accumulate from having 2 in diapers are not filling up a landfill. It may not be an easy decision to make or something you have ever thought of doing, but it is a small step towards taking a care of the world we are borrowing.
To be perfectly honest the reasons I started using cloth was 1) I thought they were cute, 2) to save money. When I first started I was not even thinking about the environment. There are many choices out there too. I am still learning all of them and the terminology that goes with them, but I am comforted by knowing that it is a step in the right direction. If your family is on a budget like mine you may only be able to afford 2 or 3 diapers a paycheck, but every little bit helps. Besides, this will help you decide which diaper is right  for you. There are so many options, and actually there are also a good deal of accessories making it even easier to care for them as well. I recommend using a search engine and finding reviews, websites, and even youtube has several videos on how to use them, clean them, assemble them, and even some reviews. You may also want to only get one kind at a time, my children seem to be sensitive to a particular cloth, so I have to switch. When you are having a baby shower, you could ask guests to get you cloth diapers rather than a box of disposables. On diapers.com you can also make a registry, where family and friends can purchase them for you. I am asking family and friends for my daughters upcoming 1st birthday, to buy them rather than clothes (not toys, don't think I am heartless), but anyone planning on purchasing clothes. Some of you may say well that is fine if you stay at home, but I work and my child attends daycare. I understand that many daycares  these days understand that many parents are going back to cloth, and are allowing parents to put cloth diapers on their children while at daycare. Many times the daycare workers can not deal with any messy diapers, but if you send a "wet bag" the worker can just toss them in, and when  you get home you can toss them in the washer. It is not as convenient as disposable, but we would be making a small contribution to keeping our earth beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment